Head Communications for Technical Operations
Switzerland, Basel-Town, Basel
Reporting to the Head of Pharma Communications, you are the Communications Business Partner to the Head of Pharma Technical Operations (PT), and are responsible to define, develop and deliver the communications strategy for PT.
You work with the Head of PT and the PT leadership team to drive business objectives through timely and consistent communications, including messaging and programs, providing expert executive counsel and identifying the best activities for maximizing impact.
Leading the PT Communications team, which is based in Basel and San Francisco, you ensure the team works effectively and members maintain a high level of engagement and performance. You also align the network of functional and site communicators across the PT network.
As a member of both the PT Leadership Team and the Pharma Communications Leadership Team, you are expected to contribute to strategy development and decision-making for the wider Pharma communications community. As a trusted advisor to the Head of PT and the Head of Pharma Communications, and other senior leaders with regards to PT topics and change communication, you will also work closely with various cross functional partners and stakeholders, including Group Communications, Pharma Development, Pharma Research and early Development etc.
Key accountabilities in this role include:
- Developing a robust communications strategy for the global PT business and ensuring its successful implementation and measurement
- Leading a high performing team of communication specialists who will implement the strategy through a combination of proactive programs and tactics (e. g. change communication), resource development, and engagement-building initiatives, managing team planning, development and budgeting
- Foster the PT communicators community (Group communicators, Functional communicators and Site communicators) and strengthen the network of this diverse team across sites
- Briefing Head of PT on key communications issues, stakeholders, events and business context
- Supporting Head of PT in preparations for engagements with relevant background, messaging etc.
You will provide counsel and feedback to Head of PT that supports targeted communications to reach objectives and enhance stakeholder engagement. You will also support the Head of PT HR in ensuring people related communications and messaging is targeted at increasing employee engagement. This applies in particular to communications support of change management with timely and strategic change communication and stakeholder management. The ability to lead cross functional project teams related to communications initiatives that impact several PT functions and/or Manufacturing Units will be another task in this role.
The support of other PTLT members and site heads in the development of functional and local, site-specific communications programs, and strategic alignment with the overall PT communications strategy is a key task. As part of the Pharma Communications Leadership Team, you will also contribute to the development and implementation of the wider Pharma Communications strategy as an important component of this role.
Who you are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point. As an ideal candidate you have a University degree, preferably in Journalism, Communications or an MBA and minimum 15 years of demonstrated internal and external communications experience. Knowledge of Pharma and /or biotech industries and proven track record in leading and developing a high performance team as well as excellent writing skills are a prerequisite. International experience is a plus.
You also bring the following skills and experience:
- Excellent written and verbal command of English; German a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated commitment to teamwork and collaboration as well as ability to identify, align and influence stakeholders at varying levels of seniority
- Ability to navigate a matrix organization and multi-cultural environment
- Strategic acumen, combined with strong execution skills
- Ability to identify links and connections between company and regional strategies and activities as well as ability to multi-task amidst often aligning the needs to multiple stakeholders
- Expert-level mastery of communications competencies, paired with strategic acumen and strong execution skills
Who we are
Basel is the headquarters of the Roche Group and one of its most important centres of pharmaceutical research. Over 8,500 people from approximately 90 countries work in Basel, which is one of Roche`s largest sites. Read more.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.