Embassy of Switzerland in the United States of America
Head of Communications and Public Diplomacy
The Embassy of Switzerland in Washington, DC is seeking a qualified candidate for a 100% permanent position as Head of Communications and Public Diplomacy, starting in Fall 2019.
The objective of the position is to manage the Embassy’s communications and public diplomacy activities with the goal of providing information on Switzerland in the United States. This position oversees a communications team of 2 and a project management team of 4 persons.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in both communications and project management in the United States and will be very familiar with the political, economic and social landscape of Switzerland. For this reason, it is imperative that the applicant is fluent in written and spoken English and has fluency in one of the official languages of Switzerland. Preference will be given to those candidates who have a relationship with Switzerland.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages and oversees the communications, media and project management team to fulfil goals in the Embassy’s communications, media and public diplomacy outreach / activities
- Maintains and deepens the Embassy’s media contacts of U.S.-based journalists and Swiss correspondents and the contacts with the relevant communication offices in the Swiss Federal Administration.
- Strategizes outreach and communication plans using traditional press releases, social media and media conferences.
- Responds to media requests and acts as the Embassy’s spokesperson.
- Manages, updates and develops content for the Embassy’s website and social media platforms.
- Monitors the U.S. media with regard to topics relevant for the Embassy and Switzerland and reports to the Ambassador and stakeholders appropriately.
- Assembles newsletter content and utilizes public relations tools in coordination with other Swiss representations in the U.S.
- Develops, distributes and maintains printed and electronic information outputs of the Embassy.
- Takes responsibility for the implementation of the Embassy’s public diplomacy and culture program.
- Coordinates the public diplomacy activities of the Swiss representations in the U.S. and assists project implementation for various Embassy sections.
- Negotiates with and reports to Presence Switzerland, the Swiss Government’s public diplomacy agency which funds and develops outreach abroad.
- Identifies opportunities to advance Swiss cultural projects in the Washington D.C. area and implements them accordingly.
Requirements: (Please do not apply if you do not meet all requirements listed below)
- At least 5 years of verifiable experience in Switzerland in the fields of communications, journalism, marketing and project management, or a combination of experience in these fields.
- Experience in managing a team of professionals and a proven track record as a team manager in a senior management position.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in one of the official languages of Switzerland with passive knowledge of another.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Communications, Journalism or Marketing with an academic background to support cultural projects and/or arts management. Related fields of study will be taken into consideration.
- Excellent knowledge of Switzerland in general and its media and public diplomacy landscape in particular. Having lived in Switzerland is a benefit.
- Ability to work and attend evening and weekend activities.
- Full computer literacy with Microsoft Office.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Extensive experience with social media tools like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and the ability and desire to learn new communication concepts.
- Inviting work atmosphere
- Interesting work in a foreign representation
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- American and some Swiss holidays
- Location in NW Washington DC
- Parking on Embassy grounds
Please send your resume, a letter of interest relevant to the requirements listed above and salary expectations no later than August 16, 2019 in electronic format (PDF file) to: email@example.com
Please write into the subject line, “Head Communications and Public Diplomacy” to ensure timely processing of your application.
Please do not contact the Embassy. Only those who are chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Campaign Manager/in, Kommunikationsberater/in, Kundenberater/in, Medienberater/in, Medienverantwortliche/n, Social Media Manager/in, Texter/in, Werbeberater/in