Embassy of Switzerland in the United States of America
Media and Communications Manager
The Embassy of Switzerland in the United States of America located in Washington, D.C., is seeking a qualified candidate for a 100% permanent position as Media and Communications Manager beginning in July 2019.
The Media and Communications Manager works in the Communications and Public Diplomacy Section, which is responsible for planning and implementing all aspects of the Embassy of Switzerland’s communications and public diplomacy outreach. The position focuses primarily on communications, especially on social media management, and requires excellent communication skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and implements the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs and Embassy’s communication strategies and digital governance
- Manages and creates storylines for all Embassy social media platforms
- Creates tailored communication and social media campaigns for the different communication priorities and activities of the Embassy
- Composes and edits texts tailored to digital audiences
- Provides in-depth social media analytics analyzing communication campaigns for the Embassy and all Swiss Consulates in the United States
- Monitors and updates colleagues on latest communication and social media trends and tools
- Designs the Embassy’s monthly events calendars and creates quarterly newsletter
- Continuously maintains Embassy’s website as its webmaster
- Assists with both media inquiries and press conferences
- Is an active member of and organizes events with the Washington, D.C. digital diplomacy community and social media institutions
Requirements (please do not apply if you do not meet ALL of the following criteria)
- Four-year college or university degree in communications, media studies, international relations, political studies or in a related field
- Fluency in either German, French, or Italian is required; passive knowledge of one of the other languages is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to conduct daily business in English
- Excellent knowledge of Switzerland (political system, education, science, culture, etc.)
- At least two years of professional experience in the field of communications
- Aptitude for communications and public diplomacy with an interest in working in a diplomatic setting
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, and proficiency on all social media platforms and monitoring tools
- Knowledge of graphic design tools, Adobe Creative Suite and Content Management Systems
- Ability to work independently, but also to integrate into a team to achieve common goals
- Ability to prioritize and multitask, sometimes under pressure and with short deadlines
- Friendly and open-minded personality with a reliable and tactful character
- Occasional work on weekends and evenings as needed (approx. 3-5 weekends and 20-30 evenings per year)
- Capable of lifting up to 40 lb
- An inviting working atmosphere, interesting work at a foreign representation
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- U.S. local employment contract
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- 20 annual vacation days, some American holidays and some Swiss holidays
- Location in N.W. Washington, D.C.
Please send your résumé, a letter of interest addressing the job description above and salary expectations in PDF format no later than Wednesday, May 29, 2019, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line, please write your last name, first name and Media and Communications Manager to ensure timely processing of your application.
No phone calls please; only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted by the beginning of June.
Embassy of Switzerland
Frau Tracy Dove
Campaign Manager/in, Kommunikationsberater/in, Kundenberater/in, Medienberater/in, Medienverantwortliche/n, Social Media Manager/in, Texter/in, Werbeberater/in